Lori Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:13:06 -0600
I recently had a problem with mail getting out from my listserv server.  We
had just installed Windows 2003 SP1 and one of the dependency services of
IPSEC (which is a dependency of listserv's smtp service) was turned off.  I
started RPC Locator and my mail started working.  Might take a look at that.
It was a long shot for me and it worked.

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Brindle
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Windows XP Firewall

At 03:43 PM 2/24/2006 -0500, you wrote:
> >> That is part of the problem: There is no real error message from
LISTSERV.
> >> My mail server (Postfix) gives this error message:
> >> delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
> >> STORE.KNIFECENTER.COM[70.88.225.6]: Connection refused)
> >
> > Either your inbound SMTP server on the LISTSERV machine is not
> > running, or you need to open port 25 in the firewall.
> >
> > Nathan
>Why would other functions of LISTSERV work? I can e-mail my listserv
>([log in to unmask]) and subscribe/unsubscribe from the listserv
>without any problems.

Hmm, that's not how I interpreted what you said.  I thought you were saying
that no mail was getting -in- to the server at all.  Sorry.

>However, it looks like only the messages that are being sent because of
>a bounced message, the above error occurs.

I think you'll have to ask your network/firewall people why that's
happening.  I can connect to port 25 of STORE.KNIFECENTER.COM from here
without any trouble at all (LISTSERV's SMTPL "listener" service answers).
So I have no real suggestions for you.

Nathan