David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:49:25 -0400
On 4/29/05, Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 05:43 PM 4/29/2005 -0400, Karl Signell wrote:
> >Tried to reboot LISTSERV with
> >shutdown reboot command
> >at the Linux prompt after login
> >
> >listserv@cpcug:~$ shutdown reboot
> >bash: shutdown: command not found
> >listserv@cpcug:~$
>
> "shutdown reboot" at the unix shell prompt won't restart LISTSERV.
>
> Assuming you just want to restart LISTSERV and not reboot the entire
> machine, you have to issue the command to LISTSERV by email, validated by
> your password.
>
> Note also that the "reboot" subcommand will be ignored under unix (it's
> only available under VM and VMS).  You have to restart LISTSERV by issuing
> the 'go' command as usual.

Pay attention to Nathan, he knows whereof he speaks.  I should have
been more complete, but was rushed.

You rarely have to reboot the entire machine just to restart listserv.
 Usually you can change directory to the listserv installation
directory, and execute ./go bg

If listserv isn't running (and there aren't problems) that will start
it.  If listserv is running (and there aren't problems) it will shut
down listserv in an orderly fashion, save the listserv.log file in
listserv.log.OLD (IIRC) and restart listserv.

Finally, the /sbin/shutdown reboot will reboot the machine proper.
Unless you've deliberately done something in the startup scripts to
start listserv when the machine boots, listserv won't start on its
own.

Whether or not starting listserv as part of YOUR normal startup
sequence is something only you can answer.  We have done so for our
listserv.

So, Nathan, how did I do this time? :-)

--
David Phillips