Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster <POSTMASTER@RUTVM1>
Fri, 4 Nov 88 08:12:51 LCL
I am concerned about the impact on our system and on BITNET, so I
have a few questions.

I have looked at old LSTSRV-L NOTEBOOKs and some of the documentation
available from LISTSERV at BITNIC, but have not found the answers to
my questions.  Some of what I have seen has raised doubts and concerns.

1.  How much disk space and virtual storage should we expect to
    dedicate to the LISTSERV software and its support files?

2.  How much time will maintenance of the software take?
    We are already running Columbia VM MAILER.

3.  Can we use the LISTSERV product and restrict access?
    Do the authors require that if we use their software we open
    our lists to everyone on BITNET?

4.  Should we try to get a more 'central' site as the host for this
    list?  We expect that members from 15 to 30 institutions will
    make use of this list.  How can we determine which site is best
    for the network?

5.  If we choose not to support LISTSERV for this one special list,
    is there any other LISTSERV node willing to take on the task?
    Can someone at our site serve as the list coordinator?
    I can give more details about the need for this list and whom
    it will serve.

6.  What do you think are some of the other reasons why we might or
    might not want to run LISTSERV?  Am I making this out to be a
    much bigger deal than it really is?

Mark Evangelista
Systems Programmer
Georgetown University