Thu, 15 Apr 1993 10:48:10 CDT
> It seems to me only fair that if MSU charges to have lists then we should
> charge readers at MSU to read our lists.  Do you all agree?

No. Setting up a list costs someone some time, which costs money.
If they choose to bill their users for that time, that's their
business. If you're short on resources, it tends to prioritize
the things that people *really* want rather than the stuff that
they'd just like to have.

> I'll bet that
> would get the charging dropped in about five minutes.   Dave

More likely, they'd drop LISTSERV completely and go to one of the
Unix wannabees, switch to their Internet address (which is much
more easily forgeable) and claim (accurately) that there's no way to
authenticate subscription requests when any idiot with a telnet
client can forge mail, so you'd have no standing to charge them.
Give them a break -- running a list costs real resources, and in
these days of having to justify every penny spent on VM, it's not
that bad a deal.