"Michael H. Morse" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 14:25:01 EDT
> | We are now running the unix LISTSERVER.
> |
> | LISTSERVER is a unixfied version of what the author thinks LISTSERV
> | does.   I understand it is writtin in C.   A student worker here said
> | the code is poorly written.    Things do work differently.
> | The mail headers of mail from LISTSERVER are different.
> |
> | LISTSERVER is also not as robust as the Revised LISTSERV.   IT
> | appears that processing a list with slightly over 400 subscribers
> | puts a strain on the server.
> |
> | Documentation is typical of unix software; in my opinion, piss poor.

Whoa!!!  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!  How much did you
pay for Tasos' software?  Who held you down and made you use it?

Tasos has spent a *lot* of time writing, documenting, and, yes,
*supporting* this software.  He lets you use it at no cost.  He is
flamed regularly by BITNET and Internet bigots because he tried to find
some common ground between them.  I don't know him personally, but I
assume he puts up with it because he is a decent citizen of the net,
one who wants to put into the net more than he extracts.  He has done
his homework and talked to Eric Thomas about the use of the term
"listserv".  He is very open to suggestions for improvement.

This has gone on long enough.  Please go away, and come back when you
have something to contribute.

--Mike