Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Oct 90 15:49:06 +0100
>What  is a  'PROFS-only' problem  becomes more  than that  if the  local
>mailer for the LISTSERV site has the LOCAL PROFS exit turned on. It's no
>'big deal' for most users, but some less hardy subscribers get squeamish
>when they see an error messsage, so one of or list owners wanted to know
>if there were some  special line a user could insert  within the text of
>the mail  message to  indicate that LISTSERV  should stop  searching for
>further commands, ignoring whatever comes afterward.

First, I'm  not sure  I understand. By  PROFS-only I meant  that it  is a
problem only for mail generated by  PROFS, not straight RFC822 mail. That
is, mail from a user at your site to a LISTSERV somewhere in the network,
which normally  doesn't go through  the LOCAL exit.  Or did you  mean the
problem is with mail from local users to the local LISTSERV only? In that
case, you  can probably solve  it via an entry  in the SPECIAL  table for
LISTSERV.

As for the "end of commands" separator, it is indeed possible to do that,
but I'm  afraid it won't  solve your problem. I  don't think you  can ask
your average PROFS user to put '//  JOB' before the first command and '//
EOJ' after  the last  one in order  to avoid being  confused by  an error
message: they will  be even more confused  by that :-) I  think it's much
easier to tell them  to ignore the error, assuming you  cannot fix it via
the SPECIAL table.

  Eric