Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:04:30 -0500
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Ross, Christopher E wrote:

>I need to transfer a list to another server in another department.
>
>Does anyone know how to do this smoothly? Not only in terms of just moving
>the files, but making sure the users are able to continue to use the list
>with little interruption.
>
>I searched the archives and found several others asking the question in the
>past, but no answers.

If the other server is running Listserv software, not Majordomo, or one of
the other list management packages, you can just ftp the relevant list
files to the new server. Put the xxx.list, xxxx.welcome and other config
files in the appropriate directory on the destination server. The specific
directory depends on how that server's Listserv software and OS is
configured. Then put any log files in their appropriate directory. You
might have to create directory for the log files and indexes, but again,
this depends on how the new server is organized.

After the files are in place, get the list's header file off the new
Listserv and put it back. Assuming the new Listserv is set up to offer web
support for Listserv, this step will generate the index and html files.

That's it. The person who's responsible for the destination Listserv can
probably provide specific details on where files go on that server.