Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Feb 1991 08:25:07 CST
On Thu, 7 Feb 91 12:16:47 GMT Mark Leisher said:
>Sorry if this is a FAQ, but can anyone clue me in on where I can find
>a "listserv" designed for Unix systems?
>
>Thanks

     I kinda expected Eric to answer this, but since he didn't, I will
give it my best shot....

     There have been many attempts to port LISTSERV to other platforms,
most significantly, VMS.  None have been (what I would call) successful.
Some of the features that LISTSERV possesses, such as the mail
distribution, can be found in other products.  But alas, these are
usually restricted to the mail distribution of a single topic.  The most
notable exception to this would be the NETNEWS type facility found on
UNIX and VMS platforms.  But be aware, NETNEWS is tied to Internet, not
BITNET.  Many of the LISTSERV lists are cross distributed to a NETNEWS
'group'.  As far as the file distribution facility is concerned, I do
not know of any products available....but that does not mean they don't
exist.

How'd I do?

Virtually,
Chris Barnes                           x045cb@tamvm1            (BITNET)
(409) 845-8300                         [log in to unmask]  (Internet)