Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:55:35 +1100

> We want to make the smtp on the box that actually has
> Listserv on it handle the outgoing mail. Now, I am in NO WAY
> a mail admin - I can't read a header to save my life. But I
> am the Listserv admin, and I am trying to work together with
> IT to solve this problem.

Shannon

by mentioning the magic word 'Exchange' I'm assuming that you're running
some sort of Windows platform in your setup.  If you read the documentation
carefully you'll notice that L-Soft categorically *does not* support any
SMTP product on the same machine as LISTSERV under Windows except LSMTP.

However, having said that, I am also in the process of investigating exactly
the same setup you are trying to acheive and I believe that it can be done
(with the usual disclaimers from L-Soft saying that they won't support it).
It's a lot more involved than simply 'turning off the forwarding'.  I'm also
fairly certain that it won't work with NT....I'm convinced that you would
need at least Windows 2000 in order for it to work.

I've got a small test setup with LISTSERV and IIS5's SMTP service running on
a Win2k box that appears to be running without problems.  Test commands and
list traffic flow through faultlessly but it's *very* low volume.  I am
going to try running it in full production this week and see if it breaks or
not.  I'd be happy to let you know the results and how I got it to work.

--
Regards,
Michael Shannon

Chazzozz!!

This email message (and attachments) may contain information confidential to
TOWER Software.  If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use,
distribute or copy the message or message attachments.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email immediately and
delete all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the
official business of TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.