Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Sep 90 16:35:34 EST
On Tue, 25 Sep 90 16:43:10 O Eric Thomas said:
>3. You  were sent all  the documentation that  is available. Some  of the
>   documentation is obsolete.  Please do not send mail  to LISTSERV lists
>   asking for more  documentation, there isn't any. Please  note that you
>   have all  the REXX source code  and can get the  assembler source code
>   upon  request, ie  you  have everything  you need  to  write your  own
>   documentation if you are not satisfied with the one that is provided.

>5. You may want to read the LSTSRV-M archives, or to search them when you
>   are unable to find some information you need in the documentation. All
>   major changes  to the software,  as well  as serious bug  reports, are
>   described  on this  list. You  have been  automatically added  to this
>   list, whose membership is restricted to LISTSERV maintainers.

>6. There  is an  open  list called  LSTSRV-L  to which  you  may want  to
>   subscribe;   the   membership  is   comprised   of   both  users   and
>   administrators  of  LISTSERV, and  the  topics  covered are  basically
>   anything related  to LISTSERV. The  volume is, of course,  much higher
>   than on LSTSRV-M. There is also a list called LISTOWNL for list owners
>   which discusses  list management topics.  You can subscribe to  any of
>   these  lists   by  sending   the  appropriate  SUBSCRIBE   command  to

If I weren't so stubborn and almost as arrogant as Eric, I might be
really confused and upset by this.

There are no more docs, and there won't be.  There are LSTSRV-M
archives.  Use LSTSRV-L.  Then in a different note Eric sends someone
off to particular LISTSERV to get what I guess is a home-grown MEMO to
fill in the gaps, which slightly contradicts 3).

I'm going to assume that if I see a need to ask for a LISTMAST MEMO,
others might also want to see one.  I'm also going to assume Eric would
rather do MVS system maintenance or own a module in the shared file
system than write more documentation.

Therefore, I will on my own time and with no particular schedule in mind
start to write a LISTMAST MEMO.  I would ask three favors of all of you:

A) If you have questions you want LISTMAST MEMO to answer, ask.
B) If there is something you think I might not know but ought to include
   in LISTMAST MEMO, let me know.
C) If you're willing to review LISTMAST MEMO before I release it to the
   world, please let me know.
D) If I'm repeating work you've already started, let me know. :-)

Beyond that, no promises.  I doubt I'll get so far as reading source
code, but I will try to answer all relevant questions for those of us
who are supposed to know more than our list owners. :-)

Nick