Richard W Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Apr 1993 18:40:25 EDT
>Sorry, I don't agree.  We also charge for storing lists IF the list keeps
>archives (or files), i.e., requires disk space.  You can create a CMS
>userid without disk space and this costs the list owner nothing.  Without
>this policy I can see some of our disk hungry lists taking up all the
>available space we could dish out.  This policy also forces the list
>owner to be more than a casual owner, after all it is their computer
>account that is being charged.
>
>Lots of sites charge for disk space used by their lists.
>
>--Greg Kroll

Thanks for the supportive message.  Regardless of one's position on this
issue, it's probably best that we table this discussion on this
mailing list, and return it to Listserv-specific questions.  (Frankly,
I was surprised to see someone pointing a finger at any particular
site's policies.  One does not see, for instance, anyone singling
out Ohio State or Cornell for dramatic changes in mainframe services;
it does not seem politic to attack a particular site's policies
in this sort of form.  But that meta-issue belongs elsewhere too.)

/rich