Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Oct 1991 18:37:36 +0100
On Wed, 16 Oct 1991 11:01:44 CDT Landy Manderson <USTS034@UABDPO> said:

>The problem  appears to be  in the logic  that sends responses  back via
>mail instead of messages.
>
>I think this problem only started  after I applied 17a-003o and 17a-005o
>a few days ago. The other LISTSERVs mentioned above also have 17a-003o.

It is not related  to these fixes, it is a bug in  LSVLTELL. I have a fix
but I  cannot distribute  it due  to the global  renaming I  have already
mentioned. It  creates a VMSES like  situation where you have  to install
2000 unrelated changes if you want a fix. If you do want the whole thing,
drop me a note and I'll send it.

>Since I  think LISTSERV  sends a  message back to  Eric every  time this
>error occurs, I would ask for now  that everybody not rush out to try to
>recreate the error  if you haven't encountered it. I  probably filled up
>Eric's mailbox yesterday just trying to pin down the problem here.

Oh, I have  an EXEC to purge these.  There are a few CMS6  sites with the
REXX interpreter bug that won't fix it due to having an otherwise working
system and not  wanting to break it  just for that (thanks  again IBM for
giving us OCO and  VMSES). I'm used to large amounts  of trash popping up
in  my reader,  since our  policy  is to  subscribe our  'staff' list  to
mailing lists of  interest rather than subscribe  individual members (and
here I press ENTER and *beep* 'New mail from [log in to unmask]), except
for BITNET lists  to which I am encouraged to  subscribe personally since
nobody  else is  interested. I  have another  EXEC to  process all  these
fascinating sendmail  configuration and  IETF working  group discussions.
Now that doesn't  mean you should all  rush to your terminals  and get me
100 junk messages each, but if you do need to test something, go ahead.

  Eric