Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Mon, 8 Jun 1987 22:38 SET
  TOOLS  FILELIST is  eventually ready...  It contains  entries for  LSVBITFD,
LSVBITWT, LSVDDFID,  LSVPUNCH, LSV822IN and  LSV822TO with a  detailed HELPCMS
file for each of these programs. These concatenated helpfiles are available in
paper form as "Revised LISTSERV:  Public Utilities Reference" (document number
A01-010 for  red tape fans),  in the usual  LIST3820/PSEG38PP form. This  is a
total of 1150 lines  of help files, and my own server's disk  went full when I
tried to store  them... :-( As documentation  grows up in size,  it may become
more and more of a problem for small sites to keep everything. Do not hesitate
to discard helpfiles on your server if  you feel that you don't need them (I'm
thinking about stuff  like LISTLPUN MEMO and LSVBITWT HELPCMS  which you could
probably live without). Just make sure to REFRESH TOOLS and REFRESH INFO after
doing it, so that  the filelist entries get updated. Curious  users will get a
message saying  that the document is  not available at this  installation, and
will try other LISTSERVs  so it should not be a  major problem. Backbone sites
should try  to provide the  majority of the  documentation, but I  won't blame
anybody if they can't do it :-)

  Eric