Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:01:51 -0600
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:23:53 +0000, F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The message never showed up (she is a subscriber, with REPRO on, she would receive a copy of her post).

MS Exchange (in-house installations) and gmail.com store emails in a
database.  Both use the RFC822 field "message-ID" as a primary key to
prevent duplicates.  So, gmail users often complain they also never receive
copies of posts they originate.  Slightly less often we get the same
complaint from Outlook/Exchange users.

LISTSERV is not at fault here.  Thru close examination of the various
appropriate log files, it is possible to prove that LISTSERV did indeed send
out the specific email to that person who originated it.  However once they
receive it, the message-ID causes the received email to be discarded as-if
never received.

I don't know about Office 365 but I have no reason to suppose this behaves
any differently from an in-house instance of Exchange.  In all such cases
the recommended solution is for the user in question to turn off REPRO
setting in LISTSERV and turn on ACK.

Then instead of sending a copy of the original message back to the user
(with the message-ID field intact and unchanged and thus subject to being
discarded), LISTSERV creates and sends out a message with text like "your
message of (date) and subject (subject) has been distributed to the XYZ list
(xxx recipients)."  Since this messaage is created by LISTSERV it has a
different message-ID not matching anything the user created previous so is
readily accepted.

Frankly I wonder why this topic comes up so often?  Do people not trust
LISTSERV will distribute their message?  Is the only acceptable proof of
sending to get back a copy your own message?  I get too much email already
and I want neither a REPRO copy or an ACK either or both of which I would
simply have to delete.