"Michael R. Gettes" <CCMRG@BOSTONU>
Tue, 31 May 88 21:09:44 EDT
A long time ago there was something about LISTSERV was going to generate
valid RSCS tags for files delivered to the local node. I ran across
a file that was delivered to an ex-coworker here and I wanted to
send back a note to the sender pointing out that he does not work
here anymore. I could not do so, because the tag generated by listserv
for the local file (not mail) was only something that rscs would use
to send the file. Eric, I know you are busy, but is this something
you are considering? I have this fear of someone flooding my node
with thousands of files and I would never be able to tell where they came
from without looking at the console log. In this case, the console log
was no good because it happened days earlier and digging up the log off
of tape was too much work.

Second point. I have received a few mailings over the past several weeks
from some network users who have pirated (by a review command) a list
in order to send a mailing to - can we consider the ethical aspects
of this? I seem to remember some discussion about making individual
subscriptions to a list not viewable by someone other than the
subscriber unless a new option was sent. Once again, I am concerned
about my users receiving annoying/harassing mail from others on the
network and then they come to me to ask how this is possible.
Is this something that should involve the POLICY-L/ETHICS-L/UG-L
list (which I think should all be one list, personally) ????

                - Michael Gettes, Boston University
                  (617) 353-2780 (USA)