Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 10:48:25 EST
On Wed, 4 Jan 1995 13:06:14 CST Chris Barnes said:
>On Tue, 3 Jan 1995 15:33:29 EST Harold Pritchett said:
>>
>>How about a non-listserv solution.  This involves writing a very simple
>>mail re-directing DVM.  A trivial task for anyone who has done any
>>REXX programming.
>
>I've done a fair amount of REXX programming, but I don't think this
>would really be all that trivial.  Maybe it's just because I haven't
>written a DVM before....

We have many REXX DVM servers here.  I can send you a few if you need
examples.  Basically you use sleep and wakeup to monitor the rdr. A big
server with SMSG capablilty to allow control and query is usually under
a couple of hundred lines of code.

>At any rate, this is really a Listserv issue.  After all, I wouldn't
>want to run a seperate DVM for each Edited list (not to mention that
>the Listserv may not be running on VM - that's not a safe assumtion
>anymore....).

All true.  I just suggested that you could provide this function
yourself and not have to wait until Eric decides that it's a valid
function to add to LISTSERV and then actually codes it in.  As far
as the non VM platforms go, you can do the same sort of thing on them,
you just can't use REXX.

As to having a separate DVM for each list, just use one and make it a
little more complex and able to process multiple lists.  Still not a
major programming project.

Harold