Bob Kaneshige <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 06:40:19 MST
On Thu, 6 Feb 1992 23:26:56 EST A. Harry Williams said:
>I haven't checked recently, but we were one of the first sites to
>run lists with over 1,000, then 2,000, then 3,000 and now over 4,000
>subscribers.  Netmonth(no, there hasn't been a recent issue) currently
>has over 4,400 subscribers.  The time to add or delete a subscriber
>can easily be measured with an egg timer.  Don't get me wrong,
>Eric did a lot of work improving it.  I has gotten better, but if your
>Listserv is running full tilt,  a large list can make it worse.

We have a list here with over 8,000 subscribers, NON-peered....I've been asked
about peering the list but with the improvements made to DIST2, it sort of has
become a moot point.  You don't really need an egg time, maybe a sundial  :-),
but if you periodically clean out your signup files and lists and delete all of
the dead beats, you will find that Listserv's performance will improve on  the
large lists sub/unsub's

  Bob