Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:10:06 -0400
> > Under 1.8d you <can> serve private notebooks on the web.  If this is really
> > an issue for you I would suggest getting a 1.8d LAK and installing the 1.8d
> > beta kit and giving it a whirl...
>
> Can you tell us under what conditions this will occur (list header settings,
> web server settings, etc)?  I've already installed 1.8d (ask Eric) and we
> are in the process of getting the appropriate LAK.  What I'd like is to be
> able to set some of our lists Confidential= Service, and have those check
> the user's locale (ideally even by interrogating their browser to try and
> determine where they come from, but nothing is perfect :-) before allowing
> them to see those pages.  In essence what we'd like is for the browser to
> offer the same level of security as the mail commands.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Yes, yes, yes.  :-)

We have many lists that are Confidential=Service and Service=Local.
These lists are used for our internal business needs.  I would like for
users on our network to be able to access the archives of these lists
without having to get a password.  It would greatly reduce the number
of people who need to go through the somewhat unfriendly process of
obtaining a password.  What's needed is a way for the web interface to
map the IP address of the browser to the LISTSERV service areas.  This
seems doable with a configuration file that maps IP address ranges to
domain names.

Another consideration is that it's not desirable for web interface
users who are not in the Local service area to even see the names of
lists that are Confidential=Service and Service=Local.  I think that
much of the mechanism needed to do this already exists in 1.8d.

Ultimately (perhaps in 1.8e :-) I would like to see the web interface
support digital certificates for authentication of users.