Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Aug 1992 03:21:11 +0200
The next release (1.7d) will no longer have a SIGNUP FILE or PWLIST FILE.
The data will be stored in a new file called SIGNUP2 FILE. Local programs
which read the old files directly will just get a "file not found" error,
and programs which update PWLIST FILE  will not have the expected results
(there will be a new call to add/replace passwords). Updating SIGNUP FILE
directly has  always had unpredictable  side effects,  so this is  not an
issue.  I would  like to  remind you  that  I did  not write  and do  not
maintain /WHOIS, /WHERE et  al and I have no idea how  much time it would
take to change them. All I can say is that it should be possible, in fact
I bet  someone will do it  in "only 5 minutes,  it was no big  deal after
all" and end up showing passwords to anyone sending a query :-)

  Eric