Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:37:43 -0400
Oh, that list brought back a few foggy memories, Bob. I also remember
NOTEBOOK and ...something strange about a blue chicken on IBM-MAIN.

I remember Stan Horwitz from the old HELP-LIST (I think that's what it was
called).

My former employer was not big on applications and students were not
allowed to use e-mail for the longest time.  When they hired me as a
consultant, I'll never forget when I talked the system admin into
installing listserv on VM -- the next morning he came running into my
office exclaming, "It's alive! It updated itself!".  Later, I installed it
on an SGI for campus use.

When I arrived at Queen's in 1997, listserv wasn't used much at all, so I
went through what Stan went through; trying to build a mail & web service
and convince folks that there was a lot of benefit.

Of course, now we have the opposite problem - I found out recently that
the average student arrives on campus and is immediately put on at least
8-10 mailing lists!  Times have sure changed.

--Trish