Gary Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Sep 1992 15:20:59 EDT
On Thu, 3 Sep 1992 17:24:40 CDT Jonathon Simon said:
>What's the latest on REXX compilation of LISTSERV.  Is it worth it?
>Does it have any significant impact on performance.  We are looking
>for anything that can help drop our CPU level during prime time.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Jonathan,

I have been running compiled Listserv EXEC code for 11 months.
In Oct-Nov 1991, I found that compiled code saved 30% CPU time.
After checking with Eric on a few points, I manually recompile updated
EXEC code for each new release.  What to compile for release 1.7c:
LSVPROF and LSVALLOW   LSVDBASE   LSVDIST2   LSVSHOW
            LSVBLC     LSVDBBN    LSVMAIL    LSVXMAIL
            LSVBSE     LSVDBLS    LSVOWN     LSVXSTAT
            LSVCKB     LSVDBNB    LSVREACC   LSV82I
            LSVDACC    LSVDBUDD   LSVRECV
This list was made from three groups:
- LSVPROF   This is needed as Eric said for determining compiled code or not.
- all EXECs listed via CMS EXECMAP on the server (these are EXECLOADed for a
  reason!).  NOTE: LSVINTPT will not compile.
- all database EXECs (fn=LSVDBxxx) listed via CMS EXECMAP on the server
  *after* a database command.  This will speed up database searches.
  NOTE: LSVDBPN will not compile.
Don't forget to up your server's default virtual storage by 2M.

It seems to be worth the 30% cpu reduction for us.  We are a backbone site
with a few active lists.  I also agree that PREXX code will probably make
compiling less effective in the future; however, some key EXECs like LSVDIST2,
LSVMAIL and LSVXMAIL can make a big difference now.

Gary

P.S. There were 3 sites running compiled code only 11 months ago.
     Harry reports 6 sites now.
     I think more Listserv sites will be looking for ways to lower cpu
     consumption these days... ;-)