Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:00:10 -0400
On: Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 03:21:38PM -0700,Harris, Jason (DIS) Wrote:

} Is anyone having problem with subscription notification not going out ?
} This started happening (or we noticed) about a month ago;  non quietly
} adding addresses to lists results in the message "Notification has been
} sent to [log in to unmask]".   Yet no message gets sent out to subscriber.  The
} notification does go out for subscription modifications and deletions.

Jason,
Try the tests described here:

(Begin "return-path.faq")

Symptom: The user can receive list mail, but commands to the server
simply "vanish".

Possible Cause: The user's ISP has implemented a SPAM filter to
quietly delete inbound mail containing a null "return-path", as this
is commonly done by forging engines.

This can be tested by sending the server the commands:

     thanks
     info listname

The first responds with MAIL FROM: <>, the second with MAIL FROM:
<[log in to unmask]>.  If a response is received
to just the second command but not the first then this indicates
a non-compliant ISP.

The RFC821 (SMTP envelope) null "FROM: <>" can be replicated as a
RFC822 (letter) null "Return-Path: <>".  According to RFC1123 both
MUST be supported.  See sections 5.2.9 and 5.2.13.

(End "return-path.faq")

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67