Teresa - Work <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:05:33 -0400
Hi All,

I had a subscriber report a problem to me, concerning the CHANGE command.  I have tested it and reproduced his problem.  We are running Listserv 1.8d software on Solaris.

When sending:  CHANGE LISTNAME newaddress  a confirmation is received at the old address.  When confirming this change at the old address, the subscriber sees a message like the following:

Confirming:
> CHANGE TESTPOST-L [log in to unmask]
Your  request  cannot  be  processed because  the  confirmation  came  from [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU rather than [log in to unmask] For security reasons, the  confirmation for a change  of address must come  from the new address. A new confirmation request is being sent.

Once the confirmation is confirmed with the "OK" mechanism at the old address, a confirmation is sent to the new address.
If the subscriber uses the "OK" mechanism to confirm the change at the new address, the subscriber sees a message like the following:

Confirming:
> CHANGE TESTPOST-L [log in to unmask]
Your  request  cannot  be  processed because  the  confirmation  came  from [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU rather than [log in to unmask] For security reasons, the  confirmation for a change  of address must come  from the new address. A new confirmation request is being sent.

Well, from here on out the confirmations do not stop.  After "OK"ing the first confirmation, with the "OK" mechanism at the new address, and receiving this latter message, another confirmation is sent to the new address; it contains a different confirmation code.  Once again, if the "OK" mechanism is used to accept the change, the latter message is received and another confirmation--with a new confirmation code--is sent to the new address.

This looping does not occur if you respond to the confirmations by e-mail, and reply to the confirmations with "OK" in the body.  In this case, a confirmation is sent to the old address.  It is replied to with the text "OK".  A confirmation is then sent to the new address.  After replying to this confirmation, the change goes through and the address is changed.  When using the "OK" mechanism, the address never gets changed to the new address.

Any ideas?  Has anyone experienced this behavior?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

- Teresa Moore