Jose Maria Blasco Comellas <BLASCO@DBNGMD21>
Wed, 25 Nov 87 12:41 CET
But, Judy, people want peers NOT because of traffic (as you
say this is quite irrelevant when using mail-via=distribute) but
for some other IMPORTANT reasons, mainly:

* NOTEBOOKs. It is not nice to have to request a notebook from
  BITNIC when the intercontinental lines are very busy. In fact
  for some countries this is a REAL problem. For example, in
  some weeks I will be in charge of the DEARN Listserv. As you
  probably know, Germany has volume-based line traffic tarifs.
  This means that we simply CANNOT afford that German users
  request notebooks from BITNIC -- we will have to create peers
  (or pseudo-peers) for *every* BITNIC list with a minimum number
  of subscribers and tell German users to request NOTEBOOks from
  DEARN, not BITNIC. Please note that this is an economical
  problem, not a question of technical or metaphysical opinions.

* DATABASE. When 1.5m will be distributed, every LISTSERV will
  automatically offer DATABASE capabilities for each list for which
  it keeps notebooks. The access rights for open lists (as NODMGT-L,
  LIAISON, etc) will be = ALL --> this means that every user in
  the world would be forced to do notebook database searchs on
  the BITNIC LISTSERV --> a LOT of overhead for the BITNIC
  server (and I'm not considering the message traffic
  overhead). It would be much better if every region was served
  by a near LISTSERV.

I will not speak of user-friendliness or about the problems for
users that receive mail from a server and have to send it to another
one, nor about list reliability when some link goes down. In any case,
I don't see what problems could be caused by normal peering. I think
that some other LISTSERV postmasters have already made such an offer
several times, but anyway I'll repeat it:

You can eliminate the irregularities in pseudo-peers by simply
creating full peers. You can be, if you so desire, the ONLY owner
of all lists that were created at BITNIC, and, at least in my
site, I will never touch your lists and headers, so that you
can make what you want with them (except for notebooks, of
course). I think that most postmasters for listservs that
currently have redistributions would agree on such a compromise.
On the other hand, I will offer (and probably much more people too)
any required technical assistance to set up the lists.

I don't think this can be made more reasonable. In any case, please
remember that for us having local lists here (as peers or as
pseudo-peers) is something we are *forced* to do.

Regards,

  Jose Maria

P.S. I'd like to hear the opinions of other involved postmasters.