"Hamilton, Bill R" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 May 2000 05:44:31 -0400
Actually, I come from a primarily Unix background and do most of my current development on Unix.  But for certain reasons, we run Listserv on NT.  We have LSMTP running on two other NT boxes.  The NT machines are dedicated to Listserv and LSMTP.  We've had problems with one of our Compaq machines right out of the box and just now got a replacement.  That will give us 3 NT machines dedicated to LSMTP.

Thanks for the reply,
Bill Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Audette [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 4:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Setting up a Linux Host

At 01:55 PM 5/2/00 -0400, Bill Hamilton wrote:

 >I'm curious why the concerns about the stability of your NT
host.  We have quite a few more than >125k subscribers.

Our NT system (Compaq Proliant) is quite a headache. The average
uptime we experience is around 4 days. This server is running
another email distro package, Unity by Revnet, alongside Listserv.
That may be the reason...... (Unity is quite a system hog). Add to
this the fact that we have it co-located at a local provider
(temporary) and you get the picture.......

Regardless, it's hard to argue for the virtues of NT. And I am not
a MS basher by any means. But there's a reason why Unix powers the
internet (Apache, Sendmail.)

My best,
Adam