"Steven P. Roder" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 10:36:45 EST
On Tue, 1 Feb 1994 15:05:42 CST James Ford said:
>Our listserv has a couple of rather large lists on it.  SMTP mail sent by
>Listserv is causing delivery of local SMTP mail to slow down.  Has anyone
>set up Listserv (1.7f) so that any/all mail being distributed by Listserv
>goes to a secondary Mailer (Lmail 1.1d) and V2SMTP?  We just want this for
>LISTSERV mail.....all incoming mail and non-Listserv generated mail should
>use the default/standard MAILER/V2SMTP.  Can this be done without registering
>the secondary mailer (MAILER2)?  Is there a better way to shunt LISTSERV
>traffic?

     Many sites are already doing these kinds of things.  With LMail, it is
fairly easy.  You will need to write a LSM$DNT EXEC (exit to modify LMail's
DOMAIN TABLE) to add S= parms to the domains that are not the local domain.
You will NOT have to define and run multiple mailers, but you will need to
define and run multiple SMTP's.  I run 5 SMTP's, with the defailt SMTP used
for delivery for the local domain, and for incoming mail (PORT 25).  The
other 4 are for non-local delivery.  Here is my LSM$DNT EXEC:

/* Rewrite DOMAIN TABLE, adding load balancing between multiple SMTP   */
/* machines.  Use "SMTP" only for the local domain.  The O=/G= will    */
/* force delivery of my mail to non-local hosts via "SMTP", because    */
/* it is less busy (and, he who has the gold, makes the rules ;-)      */
'PIPE < DOMAIN TABLE A | STEM' tbl.

sp = ' '
options = ' S=SMTP4,SMTPE,SMTP_L,SMTPT O=TKSSTEVE@UBVM G=SMTP@UBVM'
local_domain = '.BUFFALO.EDU'
do n = 1 to tbl.0
   parse var tbl.n domain node handler rest
   if strip(domain)   = local_domain then iterate
   if strip(handler) ^= 'SMTP'       then iterate
   handler = '-'
   tbl.n = domain||sp||node||sp||handler||sp||rest||options
end

'PIPE STEM' tbl. '| > DOMAIN TABLE A'
exit rc

     For the additional SMTP machines, define them in the directory just like
SMTP, give them the same size 191 (all on different packs....lots of I/O),
add them to the PROFILE TCPIP (listening on a port like 2525, 5252, ...),
optionally, also include them in the autolog list.  I do not, as they can
take a long time to come up with thousands of files on the 191.  During
the time that they are looking at all these files, TCPIP may force them,
thinking they are broke.  So, to avoid this, I have TCPIP autolog them during
the "postlude" portion of it's profile exec.  I have created seperate exit
profile execs for each SMTP machine (on TCPMAINT's 591), seperate CONFIG's
(named userid() CONFIG), and one rules file.  Inside of the exit profile
exec, you must specify the config file to be used as the value of "parms",
the CONFIG's need to have the port specified (I have all other setting
identical).
     I call each seperate machines exit profile via the profile exec on
that machines 191.
     I seem to recall, now that I just rambled that into type, that someone
once asked me to post how I did this (I think it was Marty Hoag)....oh well,
better late than never, I guess :-)

     If anything I said above is unclear, let me know...and, I'm sure others
are accomplishing the TCPIP portion above differently (and perhaps, more
elegantly).  I would suggest to IBM that if they EVER release the next version
of TCPIP for VM, that THEY provide a mechanism for running mulitple SMTP
servers, as well as multiple FTPSERVer.....

Hope this helps,

Steve
([log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | (716)645-3564)