Marc Shannon <MS5U@CMUCCVMA>
Fri, 10 OCT 86 18:51:59 EDT
Well, I found out something new the hard way...

I was surprised to be going through the Listserv console log this evening
and finding that mail to MD49 (the link to RELAY-L) was being held.  I checked
NCSUVM and CLVM (through someone at another node by some test mail) and
they weren't held, so I issued a FREE MD49.  LISTSERV came back with
"List MD49 was not held."

Confusion.

So, I tried HOLD MD49 and FREE MD49.  No files were released.  So, since all
else failed, I TRANSFERred the RDR files to me, CHANGEd them NOHOLD, and put
them back.  What happened?  They all went back to HOLD.

Suddenly, in a flash of brilliant light (with the music of MTV in the back-
ground), I thought to try taking LISTSERV OFFLINE.  "Listserv was already
Offline".  Grumble.  I placed LISTSERV ONLINE and everything went peachy-keen
after that point.

Question: Perhaps some distinction should be made whether the list is HELD or
the whole machine is OFFLINE.
Second question: I had put it OFFLINE last night, but then I did a STOP to
load 1.5a.  Shouldn't it default to ONLINE when it comes back up?

--Marc
  the Ramblin' man