"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 20 Feb 89 19:44:04 GMT
I would  like to get to  a "final" version  of plan #2,  so that I can  make a
final survey about the whole business (I will make a "final" version of plan
#1 as  soon as survey  #2 expires,  so people will  be allowed to  compare the
two). I am going to try to  assemble the various bits and pieces together into
something that is  acceptable to me; if nobody has  any negative comment about
it, we'll call it the final version of plan #2 and archive it for later (there
might also be a proposed plan #3 from the EARN Executive). I will include some
comments  and/or  answers to  common  questions;  they  will appear  on  lines
starting with an asterisk.

Clauses common to ALL possible plans:

A. EARN  will purchase from  Eric Thomas the right  to use and  distribute the
   existing LISTSERV code for an unlimited duration and on an unlimited number
   of CPU's, provided that all these CPU's  are connected to EARN. EARN is not
   allowed to distribute the code to  any institution outside EARN, be it free
   of charge or at a fee (to  protect me from "dumping"). The exact conditions
   and amount of money are irrelevant at this point.

* Why only EARN and not EARN/BITNET? Well  the reason is quite simple. EARN is
* going to give money in exchange of  the right to use LISTSERV. If EARN wants
* to pay for  BITNET and NetNorth also,  fine, but it will  be more expensive.
* First, EARN is only  around 25% of the sites, so you  could expect the total
* fee to  be at  least 4 times  higher. In addition,  EARN is  not interesting
* marketing grounds, because of the  number of varied countries with different
* laws, and anyway most VM software  companies are in the States. That doesn't
* mean I will make  LISTSERV into a product tomorrow and sell  it to BITNET (a
* relatively  small marketplace,  given that  universities usually  have small
* budgets), but  that such a  contract would prevent me  from doing so,  and I
* would then have to account for the lost pennies.

B. EARN will be  granted the right to modify the  aforesaid LISTSERV code, and
   to distribute such modifications to the sites identified in clause A.

* This way, EARN can set up their own maintenance should I run under a truck.

C. EARN will  hire, out of their EARN  staff budget, one or more  part or full
   time persons  to work on  LISTSERV. Their exact  role is identified  in the
   plan-specific  clauses below.  EARN will  provide a  unique, stable  e-mail
   address for this or these person(s).

Clauses specific to plan #2:

1. The EARN staff mentioned in clause  C will be responsible for answering any
   and all LISTSERV-related  questions from EARN people,  user and maintainers
   alike;  should  any such  question  be  sent to  Eric  Thomas,  it will  be
   forwarded unread  to the address  mentioned in  clause C, while  the sender
   will be notified that further correspondence is to be sent to this address.

2. Clause number 1 also applies to  the aforesaid EARN staff; Eric Thomas will
   not provide any help in answering their questions.

* Conclusion: the said staff had better have a good experience with LISTSERV.

3. No bug  report will be accepted by  Eric Thomas from EARN, be  it from EARN
   users, postmasters or staff.

4. The  EARN staff will  be responsible for  the distribution of  the LISTSERV
   code  to  EARN sites,  and  assignment  of  new  license numbers  within  a
   "reserved range" defined by Eric Thomas. This EARN staff will also maintain
   an  EARNPEER NAMES  file containing  the PEERS  NAMES entries  of all  EARN
   users,  and make  it  available on  a  server from  which  Eric Thomas  can
   retrieve it  whenever he needs  to send out a  new PEERS NAMES  file; these
   entries will  be merged unchecked  into PEERS  NAMES, and any  problem that
   could arise as a result of improper  definitions in the EARN portion of the
   file would be strictly the responsibility of EARN.

5. Similarly, the EARN staff will be responsible for the provision of the EARN
   subset of LINKSWT FILE, which would be maintained in the same fashion.

* After all, this "data files management" issue is really not a problem.

6. Eric Thomas will  keep working on LISTSERV during his  spare time, and will
   provide the  resulting code  free of charge  to BITNET/NetNorth  as before;
   this is not  a binding statement, and  such activity may cease  at any time
   and without prior notification. It should be stressed that the developments
   taking place in  this framework will be geared towards  the needs of BITNET
   and NetNorth; requirements that are specific to EARN will be ignored.

7. Whenever  Eric Thomas  releases a  "fix" shipment (ie  changes to  the code
   which correct  existing problems  but add little  or no  functionality), he
   will  make it  available  to the  EARN  staff  for a  symbolic  fee of  US$
   1.00/shipment, under the conditions defined in clause 6 (no warranty, etc).
   This EARN  staff will then be  responsible for distributing these  fixes to
   EARN LISTSERV sites, if and when they choose to do so.

8. Whenever  "significant functionality" is added  to the code, as  defined by
   Eric  Thomas,  EARN  will  be  given   the  option  to  purchase  this  new
   functionality,  at the  price defined  by Eric  Thomas and  subject to  the
   limits of $nnnn/year and $mmmm/shipment. If  EARN accept, the new code will
   be distributed to EARN as defined in clause 7. If EARN refuses, it will not
   be made available  to EARN, and Eric  Thomas will not be  able to guarantee
   that future "fix" shipments  will be usable "as is" on  the EARN version of
   LISTSERV.

* This is the clause that I find to be most problematic. The way it is written
* it sounds like your typical class B  thriller blackmail, but if you write it
* in another way EARN  will be able to demand fixes that do  not depend on new
* features from me, and this is not acceptable to me. Any idea?

9. EARN staff is allowed to write  bug fixes and/or new functions for the EARN
   LISTSERV; such functions and fixes can be freely distributed to EARN sites,
   with no restriction, and, in addition,  to non-EARN sites *only* if they do
   not contain any  portion of the original code (see  the "License Agreement"
   for more details). That is, a new  function like the WHOIS package could be
   distributed to any site, a modified version of LSVXMAIL couldn't. It should
   be noted  that problems arising from  the installation of such  changes, or
   conflicts between  these changes and those  made by Eric Thomas,  are under
   the sole responsibility of EARN.

* If clause 9 gets overused, we are back to plan 1.

End of proposed plan

Here you are. The more I read it,  the more it sounds like "If EARN encounters
a problem  with LISTSERV, they'd  better rush to  the nearest church  and pray
that it happens  also on BITNET, or alternatively pray  that it doesn't happen
again, because they're  not going to get  any kind of fix  for that". Although
this solution meets my requirements, I am  afraid the BoD won't like it. But I
am prepared to try  it if the majority thinks it's better  than plan #1 (which
is why I'm going to make a third survey, eventually).

  Eric