Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 8 Apr 1987 18:48 SET
  No. Peer-type headers are reserved solely for the one and only exclusive use
of true  PEERS. The "peer-type" header  is only a technical  implementation of
the inter-server communication protocol, which  will not be opened to non-peer
users. Inter-server information tags (X-LSV...) are DISCARDED if the file does
not come  from a peer that  is present in the  local list file. The  reason is
that  if  "everybody"  was  allowed  to  send  X-LSVxxx  tags  and  have  them
interpreted,  they could  easily create  mailing loops,  have valid  mailfiles
bounced to  the postmaster, create problems  in the distribution of  the file,
cause a  "mailing loop  detected" error, etc.  As you may  know, I  don't like
"half-peers"  and I'm  not going  to implement  anything that  might encourage
their use. I have  nothing against people who don't want  to peer because they
feel they don't  have time to find the necessary  hosts, etc, but hierarchical
links make me angry as they are  more dangerous than peer links and not easier
to set up conceptually -- it only takes you more time because the link must be
done with an ADD command and the "Peers=" keywords must be modified on all the
existing peers. Please, let's not start running backwards.

  Eric