"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 9 Mar 89 10:39:57 GMT
Yesterday afternoon, I have received a  note from Frode Greisen, the President
of EARN,  explaining the  position of the  EARN Executive  regarding LISTSERV.
This note was simply disquieting, and I have spent most of the night trying to
find a way to  solve the situation without affecting the  users. No matter how
long or in what  way I looked at the problem, I unavoidably  ended up with one
of  the equations  transforming itself  in 1=0.  This morning,  after sleeping
three  hours, I  have decided  that the  problem should  be solved  today. Not
tomorrow. Today. And  that I should preserve my sanity  first, since the users
will be affected in any case.

Frode's letter came in a sad and  tense context. Frode had contacted my boss a
few days  ago and told  him about the LISTSERV  business. You can  imagine how
much  I appreciated  this, after  the Jose-Maria  story. Anyway,  Frode's note
expressed the  concern of the EARN  Executive about the recent  development of
the LISTSERV story. The Executive  finds unacceptable that a discrimination is
made between countries, and that an equal degree of service is not provided to
all of them,  etc. They reminded me that the  development of LISTSERV involved
the usage of EARN lines,  and of CPU time on a machine that  I do not own, and
that therefore it might  well be that I am not legally  able to make decisions
about the product; Frode sent a copy of this note to the person at CERN who is
responsible for  following legal affairs.  Although I am  absolutely convinced
that I would win such a case (even the employers of Jose-Maria, who planned to
sue him in order  to recover the property of the software  he developed at GMD
in his spare time, quickly changed their mind after talking to a lawyer, while
Jose-Maria's trade-union assured him he had nothing to fear), and I could then
legally extract  a lot of  money from EARN which  they would have  deserved to
lose, I decided overnight not to follow this path. I am tired, very tired, and
I  want this  business to  end as  soon as  possible. A  court decision  takes
months, if not years. I want to solve  the problem today, even if that means I
am being exploited once more.

Finally, Frode reminded me that political discussions are not allowed on EARN.
In  particular, the  surveys are  objects of  highly political  and commercial
contents. There will  therefore be no new  survey, and I have  changed all the
files in  SURVEY FILELIST to  GET=N/A, so that  nobody can retrieve  them. For
this same reason,  there will be no more political  discussion about LISTSERV;
all future  discussions shall be on  the basis of technical  implementation of
the decisions I  have made this morning, with no  political discussion. I have
my  own  opinion   about  the  Executive's  eagerness   to  prevent  political
discussions on the network, but I will not formulate it here.

To summarize, the EARN  Executive does not like any of  the plans (1,2,3), and
does not  appear to have another  plan to propose. In  addition, since surveys
have a political aspect, there can be no  new survey, and in any case there is
no time for any  survey, I want the problem to be ended  now. I have therefore
made the decision myself, and I apologize in advance to the EARN users. I have
earnestly try to  achieve a workable agreement,  I have failed, I  now have to
save myself if I cannot save LISTSERV.

1) This  decision is  final and  irrevocable. Future  discussions shall  be on
purely technical grounds, and on the basis on the acceptation of the decisions
listed herein.

2)  I am  going to  write  a letter  granting  full and  indefinite access  to
LISTSERV, release  1.5o (FIX15O1), to  all EARN nodes, at  NO COST to  EARN; I
will sign this letter and mail it to Frode, as soon as I receive his snailmail
address.

3) I will not participate in the  distribution of LISTSERV to EARN sites, even
on a temporary basis. I merely allow EARN to perform that distribution, and it
is their responsibility to decide how they wish to organize themselves.

4) LISTSERV  support to EARN will  be withdrawn as  soon as EARN has  found an
alternative source  of maintenance, and, as  indicated in an earlier  note, no
later than June the 1st of 1989 in any case.

5) On the  day this support is  withdrawn, or shortly thereafter,  I will ship
release 1.6  of LISTSERV to all  non-EARN sites. One month  afterwards, I will
remove  all EARN  servers  from  the backbone,  since  they  will have  become
obsolete and they will no longer be  supported. This delay of one month should
allow EARN to organize their own backbone.

6) Upon request  from the EARN Executive Committee, I  would completely remove
EARN nodes from  PEERS NAMES rather than just changing  their :backbone tag to
NO. EARN nodes will remain in PEERS NAMES until I receive such a request.

7)  On the  day that  I withdraw  LISTSERV maintenance  from EARN,  EARN shall
provide  a  stable  electronic  mail  address to  which  I  will  forward  all
LISTSERV-related questions and requests that I might receive. If EARN does not
provide this mailbox, such questions will be discarded unread.

8) I will make no other deal with EARN, will listen to no other proposal, will
study no  other possibility or extensions  to this list of  decisions. If EARN
wants more from me,  they will have to convince a court that  they own a right
to my  time and to the  work I am  going to do in  the future. I will,  in any
case, have to contract a lawyer for my protection.

  Eric