Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:25:14 -0700
On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:17:26 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I am a real novice  (~2hours into it).  Does anyone have
>diagnosis or fix for the following problem.
>
>I (for the first time) installed ListServ 1.8d.  It all appeared to go
>nominally, until. . . . . . I tried to start the services.   I get the following report in
>SMTPS#1----------.LOG:
>
>26 Mar 1999 08:35:52 >>> Cannot resolve SMTP host
>'LISTSERV.OPM.GOV', will try again in 1 minute <<<

The machine that LISTSERV is running on apparently cannot access DNS services to
find the host 'LISTSERV.OPM.GOV'.  That domain does exist in DNS so it's an
internal network problem of some kind.  Perhaps DNS services for that machine
are not turned on.  This is not (strictly speaking) a LISTSERV problem but a
local network problem although it will keep LISTSERV from working.