David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack <david%ms.uky.edu@ukma>
Tue, 16 Feb 88 13:51:26 EST
In article <33654WHV@PSUVM> you write:
>Eric, my mailing list is being KILLED by damn reject messages that could
>EASILY be prevented by ONE SIMPLE CHECK.
>
>Over the past month, OVER 40 reject mail messages have been sent out to
>EVERYONE on my list (60 people) - always from ONE USERID  ---  UUCP.

>uucp@princeton
>
>UUCP is not, never, ever a userid.

Eric, Eric ... please calm down ...

Something like checking if the userid is UUCP is a silly hack.

What if I'm running a VMS machine (for instance) and want to set
up a user-id for the User of Unusual Computer Programs (or some
other acronym that happens to also be UUCP)?  Now, the guy that
runs this user-id might happen to own a color computer and want
to send mail to your mailing list.  But he can't because you've
just installed a filter that says that users named UUCP are not
to have their mail distributed.

THE REAL FIX IS IN DOING A COUPLE OF THINGS:

1. Use BSMTP for your traffic.  (Or some other way of attaching
   a return address to the message without having that return
   address show up in the header -- I'm saying BSMTP because I'm
   going to describe the mechanism used on the Arpanet with SMTP).
2. Have LISTSERV fix the return address in the MAIL FROM:<> lines
   to be <[log in to unmask]>  (or whatever the proper domain
   name for PUCC is).

THEN, when mail ends up having an error at some distant spot the
error message will go back to you, and not to the entire list.

Not doing it in some way that is equivalent to the above is
the wrong thing to do.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <[log in to unmask]>
<---- or:                ¤rutgers,uunet,cbosgd‡!ukma!david, [log in to unmask]