Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:45:29 -0400
On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Suppona, Roger wrote:

> It seems to me that items you don't want list owners changing should be
> placed in a separate configuration, not in the header file.  With over 200
> list owners and over 1000 lists I really don't want to be in the business of
> maintaining their lists because the list server doesn't want them twiddling
> with a parameter or two.  Poor design.

   Valid point.  I have felt the same way, at times, when a List Owner has
deliberately altered a list header I have asked them not to change.
Fortunately, we have few List Owners here who do this.  These headers, for
now, are identified separately in the headers of their lists under a "Do
Not Change" line.  This solution might work for you?

   However, regarding Notebook=, as I mentioned to you in previous mail,
Listserv 1.8d, permits List Owners to edit the last two parameters of this
line, (archiving frequency and archive privacy, respectively) which makes
the "Do Not Change" line somewhat of a contradiction.  That has to be
changed to "Only Change, etc.".

--Trish

Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario   [log in to unmask]