Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:32:27 -0500
Francoise Becker wrote:

>>Yes, and the *main* reason for using Confidential=Service is to have
>>your list show up on the web index page, but not on CataList.
>
> I should probably have said "one of the main reasons". At any rate,
> this has been the case for approximately 5 years. For the past 5 or
> so years, people asking "how do I get the list to show up on the web
> index but not on CataList?" have received the answer "use
> Confidential=Service".

The use of 'Confidential= Service' does not hide a list from non-local users.
It hides the list from non-local users who submit the 'lists' command via email,
but never visit the archives menu page. A review of our logs indicates that
non-local requests for the archives menu page significantly outnumber email
submissions of the 'lists' command from non-local addresses. Given this usage
pattern, 'Confidential= Service' no longer means that the existence of the list
is hidden from non-local users, it simply means that the list does not appear
in CataList, nothing more, nothing less.

> Among lists using Confidential=Service, I
> can't tell you what ratio has no service area defined, but there are
> quite a few, and if we were to change this now, a lot of lists would
> be broken.

The essence of this paragraph seems to be that implementation of the requested
change would result in breakage for countless list owners who have followed
your instructions. I can appreciate the potential impact, so I will modify my
original request.

Please provide an additional option for the 'Confidential=' keyword which will
enable a list owner to configure a list so that it appears in the output of the
'lists' command for local users, but does not appear on the public archives menu
page.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator