Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 12:05:42 CST
On Thu, 23 Feb 1995 19:26:25 PST Dave Gomberg said:
>Hey guys.  Everyone will have to support their own list.  If your subscribers
>will NOT support your list, it DESERVES to die.  If you can only live on
>handouts, find another planet.

In other words, it it doesn't generate huge amounts of traffic, it
doesn't need to be a listserv list (the background reasoning being
that for $12 for subscrition to a list that gives me 100 messages
per day cost the same as one that produces 1 per month).

Sorry Dave, I don't buy that.  There are TONS of other reasons to
have list in listserv format besides handling large traffic.  Namely:
   everyone doesn't have to know everyone else's email address
   you don't get 40 line headers
   people can come and go at will (your pricing doesn't address the
       "5 minute subscriber" at all).

>$1 per subscriber per month is not a lot.  If you cannot find a host on
>this basis, contact me.  I have a solution.   Dave

True, you have a solution.  The basic premise is even pretty decent.
But it ($1 /day /subscriber) needs more than the 10 seconds of thought
that came up with that pricing scheme.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

"If the mind can conceive it, the body can achieve it."
      Napoleon Hill  (in his book _Think & Grow Rich_)