"Eric Thomas (CERN)" <ERIC@CEARN>
Sat, 2 Apr 88 17:25:59 GVA
When I review a list, I don't do it to determine whether someone is on it
or  not. I  do it  to see  who is  on it.  This makes  a difference.  For
example, I may review  one of the 5 lists related  to the VM/SP operating
system (that's just an  example case - there are probably  not 5), to see
who's on it. On  the first one, I see "famous"  names. Good, that's going
to be an  interesting list. I subscribe. On  the 2nd one, I see  a lot of
people but I've never  heard of any of them. Probably  a user's forum (ie
"how can one send a file via RSCS without using SENDFILE?").

That was maybe not a credible  example, let's take an IBM-PC related list
instead. THERE you  are going to find 10 different  lists, with a similar
description and (probably) completely different topics.

I NEVER  review a list to  try to find the  same of someone. I  no longer
review lists to get at the header -  I just do a search on my local LISTS
database, which is some  10 times faster than waiting for  the reply of a
REVIEW command.

  Eric