Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:19:42 -0500
At 11:48 02/04/2004 Wednesday, Hiler, John wrote:
 >This means that if a mail server is down for any length of time you have
 >to reload address. Is there a way to turn this off?

Depends upon the mail server.   A mail server down for a short period of
time (say 3 days) should not be a problem,  but

"The last reported error was: 5.7.1 554 5.7.1 Command rejected"

sounds very bogus to me.  Turning off auto-del would not be the correct
solution to this mail server's problem.  Resolving its "issue" with email
delivery would be the correct action e.g., is it an MX or DNS problem? an
incorrect anti-spam/virus problem?  a clue problem?  I'd sooner set the
users (at that site) to NOMAIL pending contacting a cognizant sysadmin at
the (or related) site/ISP.

That's the challenge of running mission critical electronic services --
fixing the original problem, if possible.

/Pete Weiss @ Penn State