Ryan Keil <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 May 2000 07:55:43 -0600
For those of us relatively new to running ListServ, and running it on a
Solaris/Sparc box, would this "level" upgrade include downloading and
reinstalling the common.tar.Z, or just the [os].tar.z?

Kip

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Eric Thomas wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 19:33:58 +0200
> From: Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: SECURITY ADVISORY FROM L-SOFT

> *************************** SECURITY ADVISORY ***************************
>
> A  security  exposure has  been  discovered  and  fixed in  LISTSERV  and
> LISTSERV Lite. L-Soft recommends that  all affected users apply the 2000a
> level set immediately.
>
> ------------------------------- ABSTRACT --------------------------------
> PRODUCTS AFFECTED:
>
> - LISTSERV version 1.8d (confirmed), including LISTSERV Lite.
>
> - LISTSERV version 1.8c (inferred), including LISTSERV Lite betas.
>
> - LISTSERV version 1.8b and older are NOT affected.
>
> - Note  that  support  for  version 1.8c  (released  January,  1997)  was
>   discontinued March, 1999. No patches are available for version 1.8c.
>
> OPERATING SYSTEMS AFFECTED:
>
> - Windows NT/2000, unix (all vendors), OpenVMS AXP (confirmed).
>
> - Windows 95/98, OpenVMS VAX (inferred).
>
> - VM/ESA sites are NOT affected.
>
> EXPOSURE:
>
> Intruders may  be able to  gain non-interactive  access to the  system on
> which   LISTSERV  is   running.   On  a   properly  configured   LISTSERV
> installation, this access will be  non-privileged. It may be possible for
> the intruder to gain root access if one of the following is true:
>
> - LISTSERV  executables  were  granted  privileges over  those  that  are
>   required and/or recommended for the particular operating system.
>
> - The operating system is not secure (for instance, key system files have
>   world write access because the system is installed on a FAT partition).
>
> SOLUTION:
>
> - Apply 2000a level set (see below). The problem cannot be circumvented.
>
> - [Windows NT/2000]  Make sure  your boot/system  drive is  formatted for
>   NTFS with suitable access control lists.
>
> - Reminder: L-Soft does not recommend running LISTSERV on Windows 95/98.
>
> RISK RATING: HIGH
>
> - Date vulnerability appeared in code stream: January, 1996.
>
> - Date of first reported exploit: April 29, 2000.
>
> - Exploit widely known within hacker community since: May 4, 2000.
>
> INCIDENT CHRONOLOGY:
>
> 2000-04-28 Initial report, exposure 1 (one site)
> 2000-04-28 Exposure 1 determined to be innocuous; no emergency action
> 2000-04-29 Initial report, exposure 2 (one site)
> 2000-04-29 Emergency action initiated
> 2000-04-29 Patch A1 ready (exposures 1 and 2)
> 2000-04-29 A1 delivered to reporting site
> 2000-04-30 A1 passed standard internal tests, ready for deployment
> 2000-04-30 Exposure 3 discovered by L-Soft; deployment of A1 cancelled
> 2000-05-01 Patch A2 ready (exposures 1, 2 and 3)
>            NOTE: A2 required rewrite of core routines, schedule full
>            live test before deployment!
> 2000-05-01 A2 delivered to reporting site
> 2000-05-02 A2 fails internal tests
> 2000-05-02 Patch A3 ready (exposures 1, 2 and 3)
> 2000-05-02 A3 delivered to reporting site
> [...]

        Kip  Keil, DBA       |
    [log in to unmask]     | We all learn from history....
 http://www.utahoutdoors.com |    either by study, or by repetition.
                                                    - Kip Keil, 1998