Markus Stumpf <INFRZA02@DM0TUI1S>
Tue, 12 Sep 89 18:11:22 -0200
>>On Fri, 8 Sep 89 11:18:43 EDT Ross Patterson said:
>>                       The  "SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE"  command does  a real
>>nice job, but there are a few Netwide commands missing:

>May I suggest still two other netwide commands? They are
>
>   SUSPEND * (NETWIDE
>   RESUME  * (NETWIDE

"(NETWIDE" commands result in a big load on the net. I think it's okay to
have a  SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE and  a AFD/FUI DEL  * (NETWIDE, but is  it too
much of work for a user, to keep track on what lists he is subscribed to,
by himself?
I maintain a file like this:

*LIST
*listname       node           description
*--------     --------     -------------------- . . .
 LINKFAIL     DEARN        Liste fuer Link-failure Ankuendigungen
 LSTSRV-L     DEARN        Liste fuer Revised LISTSERV

*FUI
*filename     filetype    filelist    password    userid        node
*--------     --------    --------    --------    --------    --------
 LSVTALK      PACKAGE     LOCSOFT     xxxxxxx     LISTSERV    DEARN

*AFD
*filename     filetype    filelist    password    userid        node
*--------     --------    --------    --------    --------    --------

*REGISTERED
* userid      node            registered as
 LISTSERV     DEARN        Markus Stumpf
 LISTSERV     FINHUTC      Markus Stumpf

It is pretty  easy to write a  XEDIT MACRO and/or a EXEC  that deals with
SUB's,  AFD/FUI ADD/DEL's  and that  is able  to send  out SUSPEND's  and
RESUME's to all the lists I'm subscribed to.
So why increase the load of the net by more and more "(NETWIDE" commands?

     \Maex