Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 28 Aug 1986 17:08 SET
  I have  decided that  these three files  would become  near-prerequisites for
installing  release 1.4.  Which means  that it  will still  work WITHOUT  those
files, but  you will get  a warning message when  LISTSERV is started  and also
once per day (I've installed a WAKEUP PARMS facility).

  Reasons for making this mandatory:

- I went to  great pains to include  tests in the mailing  routines to suppress
  loops on  rejection mail  by using  XMAILER NAMES and  DOMAIN NAMES.  I would
  hate to  get angry complaints  from users about  my LISTSERV entering  a loop
  which could have been avoided if these files had been available.

- I like the extended stats with  network load indication... They are very use-
  ful for deciding whether a given peer has too much load or not.

- I plan  to automatize list  management. With more than  3 peers it  becomes a
  pain to  add/remove users. I will  need the BITEARN NODES  database to deter-
  mine nearest server, etc.

- I have added  full support for the  :fformat, :fclass and :msgs  tags. If you
  are at a JESx node and cannot  receive nor send messages, you will be awfully
  glad to get  them into a mailfile  instead of 'sending commands  in the dark-
  ness'. This requires the BITEARN NODES too.
  *** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
  This does NOT mean that your LISTSERV is  going to eat 1 hour of CPU for each
  command just  because it scans  the BITEARN NODES.  There is a  LSVBITGN exec
  that you must run once a month to create a 40kb BITEARN NODESUM file which is
  then used to get the info. Also, the values are kept in GLOBALV vars. I belie
  ve that version 1.4 will be much faster than 1.3, considering the other impro
  vements I have made  to the code -- and this will  be particularly true under
  SP4.

  The three files I mentioned must  therefore be made available to LISTSERV, in
R/O mode. You  could, for example, give  LISTSERV a link to MAILER  191 for the
XMAILER and  DOMAIN NAMES. If you  do not have  BITEARN NODES on a  public disk
already, I  suggest that you  create one or  that you put  it on a  system disk
(eg MAINT  319). LISTSERV should have  a LINK to  it in its directory,  and you
should modify the PROFILE to ACCESS it accordingly.

  Please skip the rest of this mail if you are familiar with Netserv.

  You can  order the mailer stuff  from NICSERVE *or* Netserv.  I would suggest
you  use the  latter since  it has  an automatic-distribution  feature. BITEARN
NODES is available from  NICSERVE too, but the version you'd  get from it would
be at best  3 months old, so  *please* use Netserv. If you  never retrieved the
BITEARN NODES file in your life, here's what you should do:

1) Determine the userid of the contact person  for your node. A possible way is
   issuing a TELL NETSERV AT BITNIC  GET NODENTRY your_nodeid. The contact per-
   son appears in the ":contact" field of the reply.

2) Logon to this account, and issue the following commands:

    TELL netserv GET BITEARN NODES
    TELL netserv GET UPDNODES EXEC
    TELL netserv GET UPDNODES MODULE
    TELL netserv AFD ADD password * NODUPD
    TELL netserv AFD ADD password XMAILER NAMES
    TELL netserv AFD ADD password DOMAIN NAMES

    where netserv = 'NETSERV AT BITNIC'   for BITNET
                    'NETSERV AT CANADA01' for NetNorth

          password =  - either you've  changed it and you  know what it  is :-)
                     - otherwise it's your userid,  and you'd better change it!

    Important note: just because you're nearer  to CANADA01 than to BITNIC does
    *not* mean that you can use it.  If you're in the United States of America,
    then you must  use the server of  the United States of  America, period :-(

3) Go to the  coffee machine, watch TV,  give a phone call  to your girlfriend,
   or do  any suitable action that  will take at  least 3 hours to  execute ;-)
   Then come back to your terminal. Actually  it was a "repeat (3); until files
   arrived"...

4) You can then install  the stuff. You will get new versions  of the xxx NAMES
   monthly, and a VERSyymm NODUPD file. You will have to run UPDNODES to update
   your BITEARN NODES file with this NODUPD, each month.

  Sorry for the length  of this, but it will probably save me  a lot of private
mail :-)

  Eric