Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 09:35:18 EST
On Thu, 18 Nov 1993 01:39:27 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>In 1.8a  however users  are always  able to  sign off  a list  via cookie
>validation, so this will  no longer work. On the other  hand, this can be
>easily  accomplished  by coding  a  list  exit  which  returns 1  at  the
>DEL_FILTER point, after sending a suitable message.

Will 1.8a have a cookie-validated "My new address is...." command?

Frequently unsubs are preceded or followed by subs as a person changes
their e-mail platform of choice.  Either they use mail forwarding to
deliver mail to the new location without LISTSERV knowing, or they
subscribe from the new address and unsub the old address when they're
comfortable that the new subscription is working.

A single "I have moved" command would be nice, and cookie validation, if I
understand correctly what Eric means (like validating new subscription
requests?), would provide enough security that fraudulent address changes
should be avoidable.  I see this new command having an option to say "for
*this* list only" with the default being "all lists on this server."

Bonus points if there's a global "I have moved" command with cookie
validation done once before the command is propogated from the originating
LISTSERV, but that's kind of asking a lot, I know.  :-)

>  Eric
Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre Dame!
* User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations from other
* vendors in an intimate, informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!