"Daniel H. Chapin" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:41:21 -0500
I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear before, but this is my problem:

I created an "Announce-Only" list from the web interface for Site
Maintainers.  The resultant header for the list works fine.  The
Owner/Editor was able to post messages (with confirmation) to the list and
the messages were being disseminated correctly.

I then added the FILTER_ALSO control variable in the "go.user" file and the
Filter= keyword in the header file as shown below.  (These were added
because I didn't want people with addresses that end in "@hud.gov" to be
able to subscribe themselves.  I still want all others, though, to be able
to subscribe themselves as before.)

When I added the filters, the owner was not able to post any messages.
Specifically, when he posted the message he would get a confirmation
message as expected.  But then, when he replied to the confirmation
message, LISTSERV would kick the "ok" message out as an error and send it
to the Site Maintainer, which is me.  The error message that I received is
"mail origin seems to be a mailer".  This is the part that I don't
understand.  Why does LISTSERV kick this out as an error when I add the
filter, but it works fine when the filter is not there?

By the way, "owner1" is a made-up name that I used to protect the name of
the real list owner.  "owner1" is not actually in the header.  But thanks
for the info, it will help in the future.

TIA,
Danny

Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> on 11/01/99 07:28:10 PM

Please respond to LISTSERV give-and-take forum