"Karsten Spang, NBI, Copenhagen" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Jul 88 09:48:31 SET
Hello there,
it seems that I have caused some of you trouble about possible mailer problems.
Sorry about that, it was my fault all alone. Those letters (3 in total) were
made by hand. I was going to distribute them to a lot of people, so I used the
Relayed File Distribution feature of LISTSERV, a very nice feature that I much
appreciate. I use it fairly often, for the time being I am distributing some 50
files to some 30 people, it would have been very hard both for me and for the
network, should I have send all these files one by one to them all. In fact most
of the recepients are in the US, so I dare not think of what FRMOP22 would have
said to that. It seems though, that if one uses the DISTRIBUTE MAIL option, it
may go quite wrong, as this case indicates. I want to suggest the solution that
LISTSERV checks the validity of the mail header, before attempting to distribute
the letter. In the case something is wrong it should tell the sender that some-
thing is wrong instead of letting the various mailers (or their postmatsers) do
it. Of course it cannot check the destination address completely, but the
'From:' field seems to be an obvious case to check.
Once again my apologies,
  Karsten Spang