"Harmon, Josh" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:59:54 -0600
Although we haven't seen the delays on our Listserv's (we don't have a huge number of lists).... we have seen massive delays with our mass sends from our exchange servers to yahoo.com as well.  We have about 300 students that have chosen to make yahoo.com their primary home.  When a student mass mailing goes out.... the yahoo.com queue is pretty much dead.  Glad/sad to hear that others are having similar problems at least.  I had finally come to the conclusion that the problem was with Yahoo.com, but am still trying to decide if I want to fix it on our end or just tell people not to use yahoo.com.

But hey, it's free!  They give them less space, less support, limited AV, but they can choose the username [log in to unmask] and that makes all the difference :)

So it goes.

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Karagianis [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 1:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: YAHOO Throttling mail?

We've been seeing delays of up to a couple of days on our outbound mail
to Yahoo.com for most of this month.  Last night I turned on logging and
raised the thread limit from 1 to 6 and then 12, and cleared off around
1300 messages to 14,000 recipients.  What I was seeing in the log was a
substantial number of "%SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL" and "%SYSTEM-F-LINKDISCON"
and some responses to "Mail From:" of:

>>> 421 mta619.mail.yahoo.com Resources temporarily unavailable. Please
                              try again later.

I'm guessing that YAHOO's individual engines are looking at the amount of
traffic they are getting from single sources and are, uh, load limiting?
Trying to block spammers?  What ever happened to the philosophy of making
the delivery of the mail the top priority?
                                             -Kary