"Juan M. Courcoul" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Mar 1992 15:47:54 CST
On Wed, 4 Mar 1992 15:46:53 EST Jim Gerland - User Support Services said:
>It seems to me that this is a tedious process.

Whenever I'm struggling with the installation of a new service or hardware,
I tend to imagine that the ladies must also consider the birth of a child
a similarly tedious process.... ;)

>If a  FILELIST owner was 'lazy'  (and I don't mean  that critically) and
>followed all  the published advice, they  had a *DEFAULT* line  in their
>FILEID and allowed LISTSERV to place  the files on it's disk as 0000000n
>FILELIST.  This means  I have to get everyone of  these changed and then
>rename the files to their real names on disk.

One of those things that seem like a great timesaving idea, until you run
up against it. Consider this: the other option would have been for you to
have to restore the updated FILEID file each time the filelist owner wanted
to add a new file.

>What's complicating this is that I am setting up a 200 mdisk at the same
>time  so all  non-Eric-FILELIST-files  go  to the  200  disk instead  of
>LISTSERV's 191 disk.

Always a healthy idea. On both Listservs I've managed (TECMTYVM, and now
VMTECQRO), I've opted to keep the Listserv code untouched in its own 191
minidisk and put everything else on other minidisks. In particular, I keep
all publicly accesible files on one minidisk, and all other files with
restricted access on a different minidisk. Then, it's just a matter of
making the public minidisk accesible via FTPSERVE.

This organization is much easier to carry out if you set things up when
you're doing the initial installation (yeah, the second Listserv you install
is MUCH easier than the first one... ;) ), but it can also be done on older
installations, given time & patience.

A couple of caveats: all LIST definition files have to go on the 191 disk.
The * MEMO files are handy to have on the public disk, but you do have to
update the INFO FILEID with the new filemode. An intriguing idea is to set
up the public and private areas on the SFS; this should reduce wasted
space (since I run VM/SP 5, I won't be able to play with this idea).

Good luck

JMC