Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 15:26:18 EST
Hello folks;

On this system, I  run a Listserv list called Help-Net. It  is very busy. One
of  my colleagues  got the  bright idea  to set  up a  ccMail server  for our
department  here at  Temple. This  was  done about  a month  ago. The  ccMail
package has a bulletin board feature  on it. Our ccMail administrator created
a bulletin  board on our  ccMail server called  #Help-Net. The host  name for
this server is  compserv.ocis.temple.edu. I added a subscription  entry to my
Help-Net list for this  bulletin board as [log in to unmask]
The # symbol in the address is  apparantly required by the ccMail package. As
soon as I  did that, the bulletin board started  receiving Help-Net postings.
This  was  fine  for  a  little   while,  however,  after  a  recent  network
configuration change  (we installed  a router  for our  department's ethernet
segment), Help-Net  mail sent to this  address by Listserv started  to bounce
with unknown  host messages. The network  people here fixed that  problem and
things seemed okay  for a few days.  Now, for the past few  days, every other
posting or so  from Help-Net gets bounced  by our mailer with  a host unknown
message  for [log in to unmask]  I  won't  include a  sample
bounced   message   here   because   all   it   says   is   that   the   host
compserv.ocis.temple.edu is  known, however,  a post that  might come  in for
Help-Net  a few  minutes before  or after  a rejected  one gets  to the  host
without  a problem.  This is  very confusing  since the  problem seems  to be
intermittent  over  the course  of  a  very short  time.  If  anyone has  any
suggestions on  what might be  going wrong, please  let me know.  Our network
also people say  our network is fine and  that the problem must be  on our VM
system, but none of  the other 1000+ subscribers on Help-Net  seems to have a
problem  getting  mail,  at  least, not  like  this  intermittent  situation.

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.