Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Sep 1991 16:14:33 +0200
On Tue, 24 Sep 1991 09:11:32 EDT Greg Kroll <USDGK@VTVM1> said:

>First, what is the difference  between a "personal password" established
>via the PW  ADD command and a  password coded in a list  header with the
>PW= keyword?

The former  is your personal  password, associated with your  userid. The
latter is the list password, associated with the list.

>I know I can  make these different and am sometimes at  a loss for which
>password to supply when one is requested.

Either password  is acceptable. Just  use your personal password  all the
time.

>What is the function of each of these passwords?

Think  about the  case of  peered lists  where each  of the  peers has  a
different set  of multiple owners. Consider  the fact that each  of these
owners probably owns several such peered lists.

>If I use a PUT command in a  list header or filelist file I think I need
>the password supplied on the PW= list header keyword.

No, you  need any acceptable  password, and acceptable  passwords include
your personal password.

  Eric