Mon, 20 May 1991 16:23:30 -0400
On Mon, 20 May 91 15:32:16 -0500 [log in to unmask] said:
>  I couldn't find a mailing list where the question I have really fits
>  in.  And since it's tangentially related to Listserv, I'm posting it
>  here.  For the last week or so, all mail to Australian mailling list
>  subscribers has been bouncing with the error:
>
>  CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
>  550 Host 'CCADFA.CC.ADFA.OZ.AU' Unknown
>
>  despite the fact that the hosts (I have several) can all be verified
>  locally using "nslookup".  The postmaster at Cunyvm.Cuny.EDU confirmed
>  there was a problem getting to Australian nodes, but that's it.  Since
>  I'm assuming that the rest of you are having similar problems, I wanted
>  to ask two questions.  One, any ideas on how to get this fixed?  I have
>  no idea who to contact.  Second, what have you done with your Australian
>  subscribers?  I "SET ... NOMAIL" for all mine and hopefully will be able
>  to re-enable their mail service soon.  Any information or suggestions
>  would be appreciated.
>
>  -jj

I think the postmaster at CUNYVM.cuny.edu was giving an answer from the
CUNY view of the world. Yes, it is likely that CUNY could not reach
Australia... but I just telnetted to the host you describe and I am
getting reasonably good ping times to boot (about 0.6 seconds).

One way to get this fixed is to not send ausie mail to cuny.

/mrg