Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:38:36 -0700
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:43:57 -0500, Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>    quiet change * *@old.domain *@new.domain
>
>and I need a little more information.
>
>(1) Are there any 'gotchas'?  (What can I say?  People here
>    are suspicious of anything that looks that simple.)

Heh!  Normally it is that easy and will work EXCEPT (this is a big gotcha)
that entry below in aliases.names.  The entry in aliases.names tells LISTSERV
that the addresses are equivalent, which mean LISTSERV thinks there is nothing
to change.

If you attempt to issue the CHANGE command anyway, you will get:

(the address subscribed to the TEST list is  [log in to unmask])

TEST: [log in to unmask] is already subscribed to the list.
No entry updated.

So... the only way to do this is manually edit aliases.names (remove the
alias, but save it, you'll need to restore it later), then stop/restart
LISTSERV, then do the CHANGE command, then replace the alias entry and again
stop/restart.

I tested exactly this procedure and passwords are retained:

> pwc Q [log in to unmask]            <-old address
[log in to unmask] has been assigned a password of "456123" by Ben Parker
<[log in to unmask]> on Thu, 29 Jan 2004.

> pwc Q [log in to unmask]                  <-new address
[log in to unmask] has been assigned a password of "456123" by Ben Parker
<[log in to unmask]> on Thu, 29 Jan 2004.

so restoring the alias allows LISTSERV to again associate the 2 forms of
address.

You will need to manually change any Owner= and Editor= addresses in List
Headers.

>(2) Will it work on 1.8d?

Yes.