Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Aug 1993 12:01:46 EST
On Fri, 6 Aug 1993 12:15:00 EDT John F. Chandler said:
>Either I skipped too many of these repetitive messages, or there is a
>colossal misunderstanding of Usenet gatewaying.  I don't know much about
>it, but I certainly had the impression that the gateway is a separate
>piece of software that runs in a completely different place from
>LISTSERV.  However, it seems clear from these messages that Chris
>Lewis believes the gateway is an integral part of LISTSERV.  If I am
>right, then this *entire* discussion has been conducted in the wrong
>forum.  Enough said.  Correct me (privately) if I am wrong.

As John says, the LISTSERV isn't the gateway software.  Penn State's
NETNEWS server for VM gateways lots of lists, as do various servers on Unix
systems all over the networks.  Even if Eric and Penn State were to work
out some special header flag which would satisfy Chris Lewis, what about
the other gateway servers?  There'd always be other gateway servers to hunt
down and coerce into "fixing" their software.

LISTSERV is a convenient scapegoat, because it's the common element, but
it's (IMHO) hardly to blame here.

Just a thought,
Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre Dame!
* User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations from other
* vendors in an intimate, informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!